I applied the Community Server 2.1 Service Pack 2 to dbvt.com. All appears to be smelling sweetly and humming blissfully.
I detailed the process of applying the Service Pack 1 to the dbvt.com SDK before, and today's steps were very similar. I applied the SP2 updates to my development site, tested, then applied to dbvt.com and the production database.
1) Before doing anything I made a copy of my develop website and SDK project folders. I backed up the production database as well.
2) The SDK Source File changes document is the update Bible. With a copy of the file change document at screen-center I went through and copied individual files from the CS_2.1.61129.2_SDK source to their corresponding location in my working SDK, then deleted that item from the .TXT file change list. Because I applied the SP1, I only copied the files in the SP2 list to my working SDK source areas.
3) Before copying over the files in the previous step I used winmerge to compare my working SDK source with any files in the CS_2.1.61025.2_SDK--the SP1 SDK updates. That showed me what source files I modified giving me the opportunity to apply my changes to the SP2 source. (None were required this time.)
4) I then ran the update script in the CS_2.1_SP2 /SqlScripts directory (remember, there's no SP2-specific update script in the CS_2.1.61129.2_SDK download, which is why I downloaded the Community Server 2.1 SP2 (Web Install) - ASP.NET 2.0 as well.)
5) Next I performed a complete solution rebuild and a bit of testing. I saw I needed to make changes to the Resources.xml (updated in the SP2.) All of my custom Resources.xml items are grouped at the bottom of the file and those were already applied, but I needed to use winmerge to restore selected items "About" for "Home", "Blog" for "Blogs", that sort of thing. The only other item I updated from a \web backup was the encoded hyperlink strings in the emails.xml file for one-click display of a blog post when I received new comments.
6) All was well. I updated the binaries and changed files on my hosted site and while doing that ran the SP2 update script on the database. It took 6 minutes and 14 seconds to complete, but hey, it completed successfully, so that's all that matters.
Yessir, that vinyl SP2 smell sure is sweet!