End of Week Community Server Riff for September 19, 2008

Time for another End of Week Community Server Riff, boys and girls!  The day job this week was filled with thrills and high-flying adventure.  I already described the fun of sorting a UserList by points.  As I said in the post, that was interesting because I got to spend quality time in Community Server source code.  Yeah, I probably spent too much time there and should have done a Chameleon Control CodeGen with a single data provider call, then jump on the [NordicTrack] an hour early that day, but it’s all good.

I had mentioned how I wrote a “remote” login function in an iframe for one of my Community Server sites last week.  On Monday my client called and said that when logging in remotely in IE, Community Server wasn’t accepting the login.  I tested in Firefox and IE on my office network before uploading and everything was working, but since my office network “remote” site shared the same domain root I didn’t encounter the problem. 

Thankfully I found an ASP.NET Resources post titled “Frames, ASPX Pages and Rejected Cookies” and learned about P3P.  I never HEARD of P3P before, but it seemed to fit my scenario.  So I changed my remote page hosting the frame from .HTM to ASPX and added P3P header info on both endpoints.  It looked like this.

…and it actually worked!  Sweet!  My client was happy-happy!  (So was I, because I was completely stumped.)  An hour later he calls and says, “Um, Dave.  We put a certificate on the site and now it’s down.  Your remote login isn’t working either.”  It was then I experienced my George Costanza moment, leaving the room with the audience in hysterics, because in five minutes after modifying the CommunityServer.config “ssl” and “wwwStatus” core properties everything was jake.

What else happened this week…  Oh yeah, Community Server 2008.5!  I had the chance to load up the SDK, the Web version, the CS2008.5 Update package and the new Single Security Module for CS2008.5.  I’ll have to say, CS2008.5 is very, very sweet.  Another outstanding job by the Community Server Core Development Team.  I knew from a CS Forums thread that CS2008.5 was built in Visual Studio 2008, but supporting .NET 2.0.  Guess what I was doing on Wednesday?  That’s right, installing Visual Studio 2008 on my (seriously aged) main development machine.  I was hoping to install VS2008 clean on a brand-spankin’ new PC, but I didn’t get around to buying that new PC yet.  So on my clunker, and still in VS2005, I changed the CS2008.5 .SLN header to see if I could avoid loading VS2008. The CS2008.5 SDK loaded just fine in VS2005.  And it almost compiled, too!  Almost, that is.  The CommunityServer.Messages project (and only the CommunityServer.Messages project) had a lot of issues making its way past the VS2005 compiler, far too many to attempt to re-architect.  So the moral of the story from my experience is this, CS2008.5 SDK = VS2008.

An interesting CS2008.5 sidebar, what’s the licensing deal with the Wiki?  People have been clamoring for a Wiki in Community Server for, geez, years!  So we’ve finally got a Wiki in CS2008.5…or DO we?  This is the week’s Thread To Watch.  “Which Licenses Include Wiki?”  I should mention that I installed one of my CS2008 licenses on CS2008.5, created a couple Wikis, and Community Server didn’t squawk at all.  But as Trabor posts, “I noticed that only the Enterprise License product description includes the Wiki…the Professional License does not.”  I noticed that, too.  I have to think it’s incomplete documentation.  HAS to be.  Can you imagine, “Want a Wiki?  Sure!  That’ll be $40,000 please (or whatever the Enterprise version costs these days.)  “CONTACT SALES FOR PRICING!” I love saying that…

Back to the code, something else cool this week was working with the Community Server 2008 REST API for the first time.  On one of my projects, designated blogs function as advertiser directories, with each advertiser provided with a media gallery and each post directly linked to that media gallery.  There were Blog PostID-to-Media Gallery SectionID and Blog SectionID-to-Media Gallery GroupID relationships that I needed to logically establish along with a CSModule to create the Media Gallery on PostCreate, which is where the REST API came in.  I’ll probably blog on the details of that app soon, since it’s really pretty interesting…to me, anyway.

I know I’m forgetting some of the exciting details, but we’ll call that a rap on another week of typing code that does stuff in Community Server.

Article written by

A long time developer, I was an early adopter of Linux in the mid-90's for a few years until I entered corporate environments and worked with Microsoft technologies like ASP, then .NET. In 2008 I released Sueetie, an Online Community Platform built in .NET. In late 2012 I returned to my Linux roots and locked in on Java development. Much of my work is available on GitHub.