Your Geek Podcast Filter Daddy comin’ at you with a 5-star podcast recommendation.
Top tech future trends debate from ZDNet’s Between the Lines with Dan Farber and David Berlind. Dan Farber provides a thorough description of the podcast, which was a panel discussion moderated by Tony Perkins, editor in chief of AlwaysOn. On the panel were
- John Doerr, Partner, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers
- Steve Jurvetson, Managing Director, Draper Fisher Jurvetson
- Roger McNamee, Co-Founder, Elevation Partners
- Joe Schoendorf, Partner, Accel Partners
- Ann Winblad, Partner, Hummer Winblad Venture Partners
Each panelist gave a 2006 prediction with others voting and arguing why the prediction was or was not valid. Prediction topics included
- A focus on environmentalism
- VoIP to become mainstream
- traditional electronics changing from growth engine of the economy to a fuel
- China as innovator
- Microsoft, SAP and Oracle losing domination in enterprise software market
- gross unpreparedness for a pandemic like the Avian Flu
The discussion turned pretty serious at points, particularly regarding pandemic preparedness, but I laughed a lot. Very enjoyable and lively discussion by funster IT folks-in-the-know.