Every community needs their own wall, just like they need their own forum. Coming in Sueetie Version 4.0 every Sueetie Community will have one, or a bunch of them if they want. I wanted to call the feature Community Commons, but people understand "the wall" metaphor, so I decided to go with that. Here’s a screenshot.
The Wall will be included in the Sueetie v4.0 Premium Edition planned for early Q1 2012. As I said earlier, each community can have several walls, with each serving a different function, from "How You Doin’?" to a lightweight forum, to a Q&A and more. The Sueetie Wall will be a principle component of Sueetie Groups, also coming in v4.0.
The Wall is currently still in development and will have several more features than those displayed at http://sueetie.com/wall in the wall’s initial release. Here are the current features.
- The Wall consists of Messages and Comments. Comments are entered in response to Messages which together constitute a thread
- Only Community Members can post messages and comments.
- Each wall message and comment has its own permalink.
- Wall Messages can have their own Title, which is displayed with the message.
- Urls entered in http:// format are automatically converted to hyperlinks. All other html is removed.
- Wall Messages and Comments are integrated in Sueetie Data Core and displayed on the Site Activity List
- Time and Date of activity is displayed as "xx minutes ago, xx hours ago, xx days ago," etc
Each Wall is configured separately in Sueetie Administration. The Current Wall Configuration Properties are:
- NumDays – The Number of Days for retrieving wall messages for display. This is by default set to "-1" which retrieves all messages. This property is used to reduce cache size and is typically only of value to larger communities who may want to cache only the last 90 days of wall activity.
- CanMembersMessage – When this configuration option is set to "False," only users in Wall Configurable roles can create new messages. When set to "True" all Members can create Messages.
- MessagePageSize – Number of messages displayed per page
- AddTopic – Display the "Topic" field on the new message form. Set to "True" by default.
Features in Progress
- Sueetie Messages will be added to Sueetie Search, but Wall Comments will not be included in Sueetie Search for v4.0. Perhaps in a later release.
- Permalinks for both messages and comments will display on a separate page
- Photo and other media handling
- Other surprises…